About Deon Swart
He started making cakes for family and friends and soon was receiving more and more orders. As his hobby grew and grew, he found it more and more difficult to balance work and hobby. In 2003, Deon finally plucked up the courage and left his permanent employment so that he could venture out and pursue his passion of creating outstanding cakes.
Deon started working from home, but soon found that the premises were far too small. Some alterations to the home were in order to accommodate his expanding business. Within 6 months, he had outgrown those as well. In 2006, Deon registered his company “The Cake Genie” and moved into his shop in Mondeor, where is situated today. Deon also gives courses in cake decorating and is passionate about sharing his knowledge with other creative people.
Some of Deon’s accolades include:
- 2003 International Sugarcraft Show – 2nd prize in the Intermediate Modern Contemporary Wedding Cake category.
- 2004 Springtime Show – awarded 1st prize for two categories in the Intermediate division.
- 2006 Springtime Show – awarded 1st and 3rd prize in two categories in the Advanced division.
- 2007 International Sugarcraft Show – awarded 3rd prize in the Modern Contemporary Wedding Cake category.
- 2008 Lenasia Trade Route Competition – awarded 1st prize in the advanced category.
- 2009 Squires Kitchen Annual Exhibition UK – awarded 2nd prize gold.
- 2009 Lenasia Trade Route Competition – awarded 1st prize in advanced category. This accolade enabled Deon to advance into the Master Cake Decorator category